First of all, let me say, “Who ‘dat!!!” Okay. Now that that is said and done, I’ll move on to my list of places to hang out in the area on the upcoming Superbowl Sunday. This list will inevitably be updated, and please feel free to contribute with events and specials in the comments.
- If you’re a Saints fan, the best bar near Russian Hill to be in on February 7 is none other than Black Magic Voodoo Lounge (1400 Lombard at Van Ness). It has TVs like every other divey sports bar, but better yet, it’s got New Orleans locals and enthusiasts . . . and lots of liquor (including NOLA’s finest Abita Beer), so it’s bound to be lively. Please wear black and gold : )
- Shanghai Kelly’s (2064 Polk at Broadway) will also be hosting their annual Superbowl BBQ party. The deal is open bar with barbecued grub. Ladies, it’ll cost you $40, and gents it’ll cost you $60 (if you’re somewhere in between, you should probably go to Divas). Seating is limited, though, so you should stop by the bar or call in to reserve your seat soon.
- Over at the Black Horse London Pub, my favorite little watering hole, Scott will be pouring lots and lots of beers for the few who can fit inside this mini-bar, and Chad will be serving buckets of fried chicken! There’s rumor of mashed potatoes and gravy and biscuits, too. Chatting is a must in this spot, and games of dice are a possibility. But beer bellies are hard to squeeze in, so be warned.
- Greens Sports Bar (2239 Polk at Green) will inevitably be really packed.
- No word on what’s going on at The Buccaneer (2155 Polk at Vallejo). But they do have two crystal clear TVs, and a pool table for non-football fans, so I’m sure it’ll be goodness.
- Bullitt has wings and burgers and other bar grub on a typical day, so I’m sure it’ll fulfill all of your fatty Superbowl Sunday food fantasies. And they now have a stripper pole . . . and ’40s in paper bags with condoms. So, there’s that.